blank'/> This is Your Mother's Pot Roast | NidoBeato

This is Your Mother's Pot Roast

To me, nothing says comfort food like pot roast. Meat, potatoes, carrots, onions...all tossed into the crockpot to simmer away all day, filling the house with the savory scent of goodness. Yum!

Chuck roast, potatoes, onions, garlic, shallots, carrots, and a crockpot. Heaven!
 I've been craving a pot roast for awhile now, and even though the weather here in Florida hasn't cooperated with cooking up warm, stick-to-your-ribs type fare (believe it or not, we're in the grip of a record December heatwave), I wasn't going to let a little warm weather spoil my culinary fantasy

My pot roast recipe is my Mom's, with a little embellishment (I started sticking the garlic cloves in the meat because, well, you can never have too much garlic). I don't measure things (unless I'm baking), so feel free to adjust quantities to your taste.

My Mother's Pot Roast Recipe

Ingredients:

2-4 lb chuck roast
4 to 5 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
One large or several small onions (I like to use the small onions when I can get them so I can keep them whole. Otherwise, quarter a large onion)
1 shallot, cut in half
6 large cloves of garlic, peeled
1 large carrot, sliced, or a handful of baby carrots (the snack pack type are great)
1 stalk celery, whole (for flavor)
2 bay leaves
Spices to taste (sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper)
1/2 cup flour
2 tbsp cooking oil

Toss potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, shallot, and four of the garlic cloves into the crockpot. Add enough water to cover.

Everyone into the pool!
 
Thinly slice the other 2 cloves of garlic. Cut slits into the roast and stuff the garlic slices inside.

Stuff roast with slices of garlic for extra flavor
Mix flour and spices, dredge roast to coat (save the leftover flour). Heat oil in a large heavy skillet or pan and brown roast on all sides.

Searing the roast. Notice the pile of flour on the side. I'm coming to that.

Remove the roast and place it on top of the vegetables in the crockpot. Sprinkle the rest of the flour-spice mixture into the pan and stir to make a roux. You may need to add a little butter to get a good mix. Slowly add one cup water, stirring until smooth, making sure to grab all those pan drippings.

Making a roux with pan drippings and the leftover flour-spice mixture
Pour the roux mixture over the roast in the crockpot. Add bay leaves and cover.

Set the crockpot on High for 30 minutes, then lower it to Low. Allow to cook for 6 to 8 hours while the heavenly aroma fills your house and drives everyone crazy.

To serve, discard celery and bay leaf. Arrange roast and vegetables on platter. Ladle the pot juices over top.

The finished feast. Can't wait to dig in!






Post a Comment