blank'/> Peacock Light | NidoBeato

Peacock Light

I've had a thing for peacocks lately, mainly for the colors--rich turquoise, teal, cobalt, and green. I decided I wanted to create a pendant light in those colors. I've been saving leftover crystals from other lights I made until I had enough. The only color I couldn't find was purple, so I decided to make my own using Pebeo's fabulous Vitrea 160 glass paint (more on that later).

I used a vintage cast metal bobeche that I painted black then antiqued with Viva's Inca Gold Metallic Rub in Steel Blue, then loaded it up with crystals and glass beads. The result is what I call my Peacock Light. Though I made this one for myself, I'm considering using the Vitrea 160 to paint more crystals and make a few lights to sell in my Etsy store.


Peacock Light in shades of cobalt, turquoise, aqua, teal, and purple

Peacock Light crystals

Peacock Light crystals






Peacock Light top
Getting back to the crystal painting, I first learned about Pebeo Vitrea 160 paint on Pinterest. Pebeo makes great paints for glass and porcelain (read more about them here). I decided to experiment with the crystal bead I used on the top of the light before tackling the chandelier crystals. I painted one with Martha Stewart transparent glass paint in turquoise and one with Pebeo Vitrea 160 gloss paint in turquoise. After firing, the Vitrea bead was clearer and had more of a look of colored glass. See for yourself:

Glass beads painted with Martha Stewart paint on left, Pebeo Vitrea 160 on right.
There are a lot of tutorials on Pinterest for using this paint, especially in relation to making colored mercury glass with Krylon Looking Glass paint. What they don't tell you is how to use it. It takes some trial and error, playing with the right amount of thinner to get the look you want without runs and bubbles. The paint is extremely thick and needs to be thinned to use. Use the Pebeo thinner only. A little of both goes a long way. I found using a larger brush gives smoother coverage.I used paper towels to pop the bubbles that show up regardless of how carefully you stir the paint and to wick off the excess paint that runs to the bottom of the piece as it dries.

If you're interested is using this paint, I would recommend buying it at Cheap Joe's Art Stuff. It runs $5.99 a bottle there, almost half what it sells for in other places. Like I said, a little goes a long way. I painted eight crystals, several beads, and three jars and barely used any paint once it's cut with the thinner. They also have an iridescent medium you can mix with the paint. They have 20 colors, but you can mix the paint to create your own custom colors. Follow the firing directions carefully, especially the drying times. They say to air dry for 24 hours before firing, but because it was damp the day I painted, I waited 48. I'll be doing another post on using this paint as soon as I find something else to paint.




Post a Comment