blank'/> Peacock Obsession | NidoBeato

Peacock Obsession

I don't know what triggered it, but I have developed a severe peacock obsession. It's not like I actually want one--a peacock, that is--but the idea of it, of having those brilliant, iridescent colors surrounding me, has really taken hold, and once that happens, well, you know there's nothing you can do until it runs its course.

I'm serious when I say I don't want an actual peacock. When I lived in Wellswood back in the late 90s, there was a house around the corner on the river that had peacocks in the yard. At first there were only a half dozen or so, both white and the more common blue, and they mainly just sat on the roof (I was always tutting about the fact that their roof shingles must have been a total mess), but as with anything else in nature, the half dozen became a dozen, and then...well, you get the idea. I've since sold that house and moved out of the neighborhood, but I go back now and then to visit my favorite nursery there, and not surprisingly, the peacocks have grown into a full size gang that roams the neighborhood like they own it. You might say, wow, that's so cool, like most people just passing through the neighborhood often do, but not so fast.

I used to take my morning walks down the street where the peacock house was because it bordered the river and was a nice walk, until the day one of the male peacocks started chasing me. Let me tell you, peacocks are every bit as scary as geese. They're also extremely noisy, screeching like kids with their hands caught in a car door at all hours of the day and night. And that part about peacocks being vain is no exaggeration. There was a house on the corner of that street that had French doors with mirrored glass, and the peacocks would gather on the porch in the morning and admire themselves in the door, which must have been hell on the owners, who couldn't get through their own front door without plowing through a herd of narcissistic birds.

By back to my obsession. As you know, I make lights and windchimes. It has to do with another obsession of mine, which is for all things shiny, sparkly, colorful, or glass. And I've been craving a light with all things peacock (except for the birds themselves). I thought I had satisfied it when I made my Peacock Light (see this post) but then I saw this purse on Pinterest (which has become the black hole of my existence) and knew I had to make something like it in a light.

My current obsession
See the colors? See the sparkly goodness of it? See the purple, and gold, and green, and the aqua and cobalt that aren't there but should be? Yeah, me too. It reminded me of another light I saw on Pinterest the other day:

Gorgeous light I need to make


So I have to make a light that combines these. It will take like a million seed beads and probably weeks to string them, but I don't care. I have to make it. I have to HAVE it. Don't you agree? When I get it done, it will be featured here. And I'll keep it. Unless someone wants to buy it. In which case I'll make another one. I'm tired already.





1 comments:

Would Loooove to see a picture! I have a small peacock obsession...

Reply

Post a Comment