blank'/> My New Obsession With Bridge Faucets | NidoBeato

My New Obsession With Bridge Faucets

This is my new love interest. Isn't it beautiful?

Oil rubbed bronze bridge faucet from Pioneer Americana series


Maybe I should explain that. Okay, so, we've established that I'm buying a new house, and that said house is to be in my possession NLT May 1, though if the current lazy owners manage to get their collective acts together and get out sooner, I could get the keys before that and start making my many dreams come true. Alas, it's one week to May 1 and I still don't have said keys to my future kingdom, so it looks like all that glorious remodeling will remain confined to my head.

That doesn't mean I haven't been busy. As detailed in my earlier post, I've been on a quest for flooring. I have the flooring for the hall bathroom and the guest bedroom in hand, and have been looking for something for the hallway and master bedroom that sort of matches the oak parquet in the livingroom/diningroom/kitchen. I call this (cough) compromise. Yes, Plan A - I wanted dark, hand-scraped remnant wood flooring, and no, Plan B - I'm not willing to pull up the parquet, which leaves me with Plan C - find something that will work with what I've got. On that note, I was in Lowe's the other day and found this::

Allen + Roth Gunstock Oak laminate flooring
You can't tell from the picture, but it actually looks like real wood. No, really. It even feels like wood. And the best part is (besides it being under $2.00 a square foot), it isn't shiny. I hate fake shiny cheap flooring. Real shiny flooring is okay, but the fake shiny stuff just looks more fake for being shiny. If you can understand my weird logic.

So, unless Lumber Liquidators puts something better on sale between now and next week, that's what I'm going with, though I'm not buying it until I get in there and do some better measuring. Plus, just in case something better comes along...

But back to my obsession. The Habitat for Humanity ReStore has become my new favorite hangout, and last week I scored HUGE. Just ask my sister-in-law, Fran, who is my usual wingman on these foraging expeditions. The week before we had seen these great solid oak commercial doors in the Largo ReStore for $20.00 each, and I was like, "Wow, these would make great countertops." And then, as if the Universe was eavesdropping on that conversation, the next day, during my obligatory daily perusal of Pinterest, I found this post about making countertops out of oak doors from the ReStore. It's kismet!

So we hopped in the truck Saturday morning and headed over to Largo to pick up a couple of those doors before everyone else got the same idea and bought them all. And that's when I found THE SINK.

Now let me explain something. Along with my new obsession for bridge faucets, I also have a strong, near-religious conviction that all kitchens should include a white cast iron porcelain enamel sink. My preference would be one of those huge farm sinks with the built-in drain boards, and I actually had the chance to buy one a few months ago for a mere $200 (complete with vintage metal base cabinet), but at the time I had no house prospects and no place to store it. But still. I love white porcelain sinks. I had one in my Wilder Ave bungalow and always vowed I'd have another.

I don't have a picture of this particular sink because it's sitting in Fran's utility room right now (her house is closer to my new house, so why drag it all the way over to my current house, and besides, it weighs like 3000 pounds). But I found a picture of the same sink online:

Koehler Brookfield self-rimming cast iron porcelain enamel sink with 8.6" deep double bowls

The sink has been discontinued, but it sold at Home Depot for $413.00. And this one looks BRAND NEW. Guess what I paid for it? You''ll never believe it. $30.00!! Yes, that's right. THIRTY DOLLARS! Thank you, Universe! I told you, if you don't shop the ReStores, what are you waiting for?

Now, I don't need to tell you how this changes things. The vision I had for my tiny beachy cottage kitchen? That's gone now. I have to build around this fabulous sink, which means no ordinary box store faucet is going to get it done. I need something equally vintagey to accent it. I need...a bridge faucet. And not just any bridge faucet. I need something bronze or antique brass to go along with the rest of my soon-to-be acquired accessories and lighting in my soon-to-be red and gold coordinated livingroom/diningroom/kitchen.

Naturally, after wasting spending an entire morning scouring the web for the right faucet, I found one I could live with on Wayfair. Unfortunately, it was $756.00, and that was one of the cheaper ones. The one I really liked was $1600.00, but let's be serious--that's not happening on my budget. (I hate being the voice of reason in my own head.)

Vintage Bridge Faucet by Whitehaus


While this one had that antique brass coloring I wanted (and BTW, I learned anything other standard chrome costs waaaay more), I knew I couldn't justify spending nearly $800 on a faucet even if I did get the sink practically free, so I headed over to Overstock. And that's where I found the Pioneer Americana faucet on sale for $255 with free shipping. The finish isn't exactly antique brass, but the oil rubbed bronze color isn't the nearly black of other oil rubbed bronze faucets I saw, so that's a plus. In fact, it has a bit of a copper tone to it, and that's just fine with me. I opted for the cheaper version without the sprayer because I never install those things anyway since they all leak within a year. Sure, it doesn't have the fancy pull out sprayer or one-handle operation everybody thinks is required now, but who cares. It looks vintage and will compliment my new sink beautifully. And that's all that matters.


3 comments

I really like the design! It’s very intricate, and is a perfect fixture if you're going for a classic theme for your kitchen. But you can also paint it black, provided that there are other black appliances or fixtures, so that it could provide a good contrast to the white elements in the kitchen. What do you think?

Evon Brow @ Athens Plumbing

Reply

I'd be afraid it would eventually scrape off unless you used an etching primer. The funny thing is, if you buy it black, it's actually cheaper than the bronze. I've had mine for about eight months now and I love it. It never looks dirty (great for a busy owner), and always gets complements. Someday I'll finally get around to posting the finished pictures of my kitchen. I love the combination of the bronze bridge faucet, the cast iron sink, and the butcher block counters and backsplash.

Reply

I'd be afraid it would eventually scrape off unless you used an etching primer. The funny thing is, if you buy it black, it's actually cheaper than the bronze. I've had mine for about eight months now and I love it. It never looks dirty (great for a busy owner), and always gets complements. Someday I'll finally get around to posting the finished pictures of my kitchen. I love the combination of the bronze bridge faucet, the cast iron sink, and the butcher block counters and backsplash.

Reply

Post a Comment