blank'/> One Month and Counting | NidoBeato

One Month and Counting

OK, I've been in possession of the new house for just over one month, and while it probably wouldn't be recognizable to the former owners, it's no where near ready for occupancy, nor am I satisfied with my progress. I told my sister-in-law Fran the other day that if this was 20 years ago, I'd be done with this by now. Oh well, we do what we can, right?

I had to stop work on the inside last week to address the outside, thanks to the friendly HOA that insisted I clean up the exterior. So my son Anthony and I pressure washed the house, then I spent the week painting. I couldn't match the yellow of the siding on the main house, so I decided to go brighter on the addition.  You can't really tell from the picture, but the color, Behr Ultra 400A-3 Pear, almost glows neon in the sun. I love it!

See the difference in the new color (brighter) vs the old, faded color?
I got most of the yellow done and repainted all the white trim around the doors and windows, plus the fascia, back steps, and shutters. The ceiling of the carport is peeling in spots, but it's just going to have to wait till fall because it's too bloody hot right now and I need to get back to work on the inside.

This is where I left off inside before I was so rudely interrupted by the HOA nasti-gram;

Drywall is up and mudded in master bedroom. Awaiting priming and paint, then on to the new floors.
Of course, just because I haven't been working on the inside, doesn't mean I've forgotten it. I've been haunting the ReStore, thrift stores, Goodwill, and eBay for the little extras I need (we won't go into how much time I've spent at Home Depot and Lowe's and how my studio space currently looks like a lumber yard). I've managed to score quite a few finds, including four rolls of vintage wallpaper for the guest bedroom I picked up for $45 on eBay, an antique sewing cabinet I found at the ReStore for $10, and a solid wood bed I got at Goodwill for $30. I love treasure hunting--so much more fun than buying retail.

The guest bedroom has been doubling as a furniture storage room. Check out my bed from Goodwill and the sewing cabinet. Can you just imagine how cute they'll be painted?

After taking a couple of days off to catch up on some Crystal Creation orders for Nancy Dunn's new garden shop in Raleigh (more on that later), I plan to put in a full day tomorrow, priming all the new drywall, hanging  the beadboard wallpaper for the wainscoting in the guest bedroom, and hopefully getting some paint on the walls. My plan is to be ready to lay the new wood floors this weekend. Then I can concentrate on finishing the kitchen.




Post a Comment